The latest information related to COVID-19 (coronavirus)
Your health and safety come first. We’ll always be ready to help you to find the best yacht rental deals available
⛵ A guide to charter a yacht in the British Virgin Islands
The British Virgin Islands consists of over 50 beautiful islands and cays in the eastern Caribbean Sea, with numerous sensational beaches, shaded caves, and superb snorkeling spots. Thanks to the consistent trade winds, calm currents, and trouble-free navigation, it is one of the world’s top destinations for sailing.
We offer more than 500 charter yachts for rent, located in some of the biggest, most well-equipped marinas in the archipelago, including Marina Tortola, Nanny Cay Resort & Marina, Hodge Creek Marina, and so many more. The most popular starting points for a sailing trip around the BVI are Tortola Island and Scrub Island, as they open up the best routes to explore other attractions of the archipelago, such as the white bay of Jost Van Dyke, The Baths rock formation, and the famous diving spot “Wreck of the Rhone”.
Sailing season in the British Virgin Islands starts in late November and ends in June, with a peak around Christmas time when winds blow at 25-30 knots. Throughout winter months (late Nov. to early Feb.), sailors can expect nice 15-20 knot breezes, making it the best most popular time for sailing in the BVI.
‼️ Hurricane season: from late June to October (especially around mid-August to mid-September), weather in the BVI becomes unsettled, with heavy rain, relatively high temperature, and slight risks of a hurricane. We’d recommend sailors to monitor the weather forecast closely or choose another sailing destination among many excellent locations in the Mediterranean or Asia.
⛵ Top sailing destinations in the British Virgin Island
Characterized by the Caribbean cobalt blue waters, lagoons with beautiful coral reefs, and magical marine life, the BVI is a true paradise for diving and snorkeling enthusiasts. Some of the best snorkeling places include the Cooper island, where visitors can easily spot sea turtles, exotic sponges, and corals; the Norman “Treasure Island", home to numerous pirate tales and treasure caves; or the Indian island, known for its dramatic rock formations and vibrant sea life. Also, don’t miss out on the famous diving spot of “Wreck of the Rhone” located at the southwestern tip of Salt Island.
Another interesting destination in the British Virgin Islands is Jost Van Dyke island, where visitors can grab an original “Painkiller” drink at the famous “Soggy Dollar Bar” and spend time on its white, powder-soft sandy shoreline. Or set sail to the private island of Guana for some of the most sensational beaches in the region and acres of lush tropical forest. We’d also recommend paying a visit to Anegada island for its special lobster BBQ.
⛵ How to get there?
The main airport of the British Virgin Islands is the Terrance B.Lettsome Airport (EIS), located on Beef Island at the eastern end of Tortola. From the airport, the fastest way to Road Town is to take a taxi, which often takes around 30 minutes. Prices can range from $12 - $40. Alternatively, travelers can fly to Cyril E.King Airport (STT) in St.Thomas, which belongs to the US Virgin Islands, and take a ferry to Tortola. A ferry ride often takes around 50 minutes.
Some of our partner charter companies also offer excellent pick-up services for customers from the airport to their base.
- Sailing condition in the British Virgin Islands is the best from December till early April. However, from late April to June is also great for sailing, especially if you want like to avoid high season situation.
- Be aware of the hurricane season (from late June to October)
- Boat prices are often better if you charter for one week or more, as most charter companies offer boats from Saturday to Saturday.
- Many charter companies offer pick-up services from different airport to their base
- Night sailing is not permitted in the BVI, so make sure to moor your vessels at least 1 hour before sunset
British Virgin Islands - Most popular charter yachts
Search yachts on map
British Virgin Islands - Most popular charter companies
Dream Yacht Charter - Caribbean
The Moorings - Caribbean
Angelina Yacht Charter
Dream Yacht Charter - Croatia
Sunsail - Caribbean
Navigare Yachting - Croatia
Dream Yacht Charter - France
- May 28, 2020Amazing company with great supportive…Amazing company with great supportive staff. Best prices, best boats, stop wasti...Daniel Ferencik
- May 23, 2020Perfect service from ReginaPerfect service from Regina Thanks a lot :)Thomas Claussen
- May 20, 2020Exceptional customer service.Exceptional customer service. Proactive and very helpfulcustomer
- May 14, 2020Good information on boats and quick responesGood information on boats and availability and prompt response upon reservation.customer
- May 14, 2020Wonderful HolidayExcellent services :)Herr Fillmann
- May 8, 2020a very friendly solution-oriented teama very friendly solution-oriented teamcustomer
- May 4, 2020A great website and a greatI have been a return customer for several years now. Jana and her team are alway...Joe Andrews
- Apr 20, 2020Fantastic price!!!Fantastic price!!!Mark
- Apr 20, 2020Reservation process was very smooth and…Reservation process was very smooth and everything by now was ok.Frano
- Apr 15, 2020The best booking I have experiencedI was looking for a sailing boat in Athens on short notice (3 weeks ahead), back...Peter
- Apr 15, 2020Very good communicationVery good communication, also in crazy situations, and very nice persons. Thank ...customer
- Mar 13, 2020This is a great serviceThis is a great service! I have booked the boat from here for ages. Everything ...Földvári
- Mar 6, 2020All greatAll great! Thumb up!customer
- Mar 2, 2020Great service in sourcing a suitable boatI was very precise with my boat specification for a Croatia bareboat charter thi...Antony
- Feb 27, 2020Very good and kind contact.Very good and kind contact. Had to cancel a reservation, was absolutly no proble...Stephan
- Feb 27, 2020quick actionquick action, free cancellationcustomer
- Feb 25, 2020Super good customer service and by far…Super good customer service and by far the best price . They also included alot ...krissie dempsey
- Feb 18, 2020Quick and efficient at order stepQuick and efficient at order step. Looking forward to the same experience furthe...Yves
- Feb 16, 2020One of best online/offline boat finder in Europe....Well, I used boataroud.com many times, for me it's the best boat finder for Euro...Staffo
- Feb 10, 2020Thanks for your work!Thanks for your work!customer
- Jan 27, 2020Recommended for charteringClear overview, a rapid response to questions and good offers for available boat...Jan
- Jan 18, 2020Excellent customer service from both…Excellent customer service from both Xavier & Jana.Doug
- Jan 17, 2020easy bookingeasy bookingcustomer
- Jan 15, 2020Great service and support10x. For the kindly and fare offer. The services was efficient and fast.Dahan Nitsan
- Jan 5, 2020Good job so far!Good job so far!customer
- Jan 3, 2020Customer serviceGood and direct customer service.customer
- Jan 2, 2020Very good selection of boatsVery good selection of boats, great service.Martin
- Dec 20, 2019support excellentsupport excellentcustomer