⛵A guide to charter a yacht in Phuket
Located off Thailand’s western coast, the region of Phuket is blessed with more than 30 beautiful beaches, as well as numerous smaller islets and natural wonders surrounding the main island. Thanks to its amazing climate, fascinating landscapes, and rock formations, Phuket has become one of the major sailing grounds in South East Asia. It is also one of the most affordable yacht charter destinations in the world.
For Phuket, we offer more than 100 yacht charter options for all preferences, ranging from catamaran, motor yachts to sailing yachts and even gulets. Our yachts are located in some of the biggest, most well-equipped marinas on the main island, including Yacht Haven Marina, Ao Po Grand Marina, Chalong Pier, and many more. These marinas are strategically located at the starting points for two main sailing itineraries around Phuket: the northern route to the world-famous Phang Nga Bay, James Bond island, and Krabi; and the southern route to the famous Phi Phi island, Koh Lanta, and Racha island.
Owing to its geographical location, Thailand is considered a year-round sailing destination. However, the best time for sailing is the Northeast Monsoon (or dry season), which lasts from the beginning of November to the end of April. During this time, sailors can expect dry, sunny 30-degree weather with the stable wind blowing from the northeast, at the speed of 10-20 knots. From May to October is the Southwest Monsoon (or rain season), during which the southwesterly wind can blow at the speed of 10-27 knots, making it more exciting and challenging to sail. Weather is also more unpredictable in the Southwest Monsoon season, especially in September and October when sailors should expect a long period of heavy rain.
⛵Top sailing destinations in Phuket
Located nearby some of Thailand’s most magnificent natural wonders, a Phuket sailing itinerary offers every aspect of a perfect sailing holiday in South East Asia, from gorgeous golden sand beaches, shimmering emerald sea, traditional fishing villages to unique limestone pinnacles, impressive hidden caves, and incredible diving spots. Phang Nga Bay is one of the most popular sailing destinations in Phuket, whose scenic limestone islands were featured in the James Bond movie - “The man with the Golden Gun”. The area is also known for Koh Panyi, a 200-year-old “floating fishing village” where houses are built entirely on stilts over the sea. Another interesting destination is Krabi Bay, where boaters can set sail in between gorgeous limestone towers, or swim inside some of the most impressive stalactite caves such as Phra Nang Beach.
Sailors also love coming to the Phi Phi islands for the stunning bays of Ao Pileh and Ao Lohsama, the famous Viking Cave, as well as numerous superb snorkeling spots and overall laid-back atmosphere. But the most popular destination for snorkelers and divers in Phuket has to be the Similan islands, often listed amongst the best diving and snorkeling grounds in the world. Thanks to its extremely rich marine life, the archipelago was declared a marine national park, where visitors can find more than 200 species of hard coral, numerous colorful reef fishes, and even whale sharks.
⛵How to get there?
The Phuket International Airport (HKT) is very well-connected to Bangkok with daily domestic flights. Visitors can also find direct flights to Phuket from Kuala Lumpur, Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Dubai, Singapore, Melbourne, and Frankfurt.
From the airport, the most convenient means of transportation is the metered taxi, which can be found outside both domestic and international terminals. A trip from the airport to one of our bases takes roughly from 16 - 35 minutes. Some of our partner charter companies also offer excellent pick-up services for customers from the airport to their base.
- The best time for sailing is the Northeast Monsoon, which lasts from the beginning of November to the end of April.
During the Southwest Monsoon season, it is recommended to anchor at the east coast of Phuket or in protected bays.
Night-time sailing is forbidden in Thailand. All vessels should be in the anchorage by 4 pm.
Boaters should be mindful of locals’ fishing nets underwater. These nets are often placed further down underwater (from 6-30 meters) to avoid contact with sailboats, but errors happen. We’d advise not sailing too close to big trawlers, or between 2 trawlers as the nets are often attached there.
Phuket - Most popular charter yachts
Search yachts on map
Phuket - Most popular charter companies
Dream Yacht Charter - Caribbean
The Moorings - Caribbean
Angelina Yacht Charter
Dream Yacht Charter - Croatia
Sunsail - Caribbean
Dream Yacht Charter - France
Navigare Yachting - Croatia
- Jun 26, 2020Perfect comunication and customer…Perfect comunication and customer service. Thanxcustomer
- Jun 18, 2020Excellent serviceExcellent service, kind, and flexible.customer
- Jun 18, 2020Excellent serviceExcellent service, extremely fast, kind and professional. Have been with these f...Bobo
- Jun 16, 2020The booking until now was quick and…The booking until now was quick and smooth with perfect service. They even calle...Chris
- Jun 15, 2020Fast and competent reply and bookingFast and competent reply and bookingMartin St.
- Jun 9, 2020Great serviceGreat servicecustomer
- Jun 9, 2020Fast serviceFast service, nice people :)Stefan Bergendi
- Jun 8, 2020Very easy to use website interface and excellent customer serviceVery easy to use website interface. Had some technical payment issues from my si...Laurens
- Jun 8, 2020Great company with professional staffGreat company with professional staff. They are available almost 24/7. I highly ...customer
- Jun 7, 2020My TOP partner for yacht bookingBest yacht booking experience ever. Quick response, clear conditions. If they ca...Marek
- May 29, 2020GreatQuick response, lots of choices, useful presentation, nice people. Thank you boa...Petros (Greece)
- May 28, 2020Amazing company with great supportive…Amazing company with great supportive staff. Best prices, best boats, stop wasti...Daniel Ferencik
- May 23, 2020Perfect service from ReginaPerfect service from Regina Thanks a lot :)Thomas Claussen
- May 20, 2020Exceptional customer service.Exceptional customer service. Proactive and very helpfulcustomer
- May 14, 2020Good information on boats and quick responesGood information on boats and availability and prompt response upon reservation.customer
- May 14, 2020Wonderful HolidayExcellent services :)Herr Fillmann
- May 8, 2020a very friendly solution-oriented teama very friendly solution-oriented teamcustomer
- May 4, 2020A great website and a greatI have been a return customer for several years now. Jana and her team are alway...Joe Andrews
- Apr 20, 2020Fantastic price!!!Fantastic price!!!Mark
- Apr 20, 2020Reservation process was very smooth and…Reservation process was very smooth and everything by now was ok.Frano
- Apr 15, 2020The best booking I have experiencedI was looking for a sailing boat in Athens on short notice (3 weeks ahead), back...Peter
- Apr 15, 2020Very good communicationVery good communication, also in crazy situations, and very nice persons. Thank ...customer
- Mar 13, 2020This is a great serviceThis is a great service! I have booked the boat from here for ages. Everything ...Földvári
- Mar 6, 2020All greatAll great! Thumb up!customer
- Mar 2, 2020Great service in sourcing a suitable boatI was very precise with my boat specification for a Croatia bareboat charter thi...Antony
- Feb 27, 2020Very good and kind contact.Very good and kind contact. Had to cancel a reservation, was absolutly no proble...Stephan
- Feb 27, 2020quick actionquick action, free cancellationcustomer
- Feb 25, 2020Super good customer service and by far…Super good customer service and by far the best price . They also included alot ...krissie dempsey